April 13th, 2004

i'm ready for my close up mr demille

owie!

Location: Cardwell, KY

Sunday night I was playing hide and go seek with my kids outdoors. The backyard was really small, so it basically was a game of tag with some "token" hiding before the tagging began. On the back of the house is a chimney and the bricks have a terraced sort of design to it, so that once can run at it and take about two steps upwards and kick backwards, giving a Matrix-esque sort wall climbing sort of appearance. I've done this in the past, just for kicks.

So I was performing this manuever on Sunday when my son Jonathan was chasing me. As I kicked away from the wall he was running under neath me and in an attempt to make sure I didn't fall on him, I came down slightly at an angle and my left hit the ground quicker than my other foot, rather unexpectedly.

I knew immediately I had hurt myself pretty bad. I couldn't place any weight on that leg. I was positively certain I had broken it. Luckily, I was driving my dad's mini-van still, which is an automatic. With some assitance I made it to the van and drove myself to the emergency room. X-rays soon confirmed my suspicion. I was told I had fractured the end of my tibia. They put me in a splint, gave me a 'script for some pain medicine, and the name of an orthopedist to call on Monday to see what would need to be done. The Doc at the ER was farily certain it wouldn't require surgery, simply a cast.

What was really cool though, was they handed my a CD with my x-ray results on it to take to the orthopedist. When I got back to my parent's house I made a beeline for the computer and got the images offa it.



Collapse )

So yesterday (Monday) I got to go visit the orthopedist where he took more x-rays because he wasn't content with the angles theyt had chosen at the ER. He determined from his new x-rays that in addition to the fracture in my tibia I had also fractured a bone in my ankle, however, it was very slight and wouldn't warrant surgery. I put another splint on my leg since there is still too much swelling to put a cast on it. I have to go back next week andd see if the swelling has subsided enough to put a cast on.

So, all the complaining I was doing about running around and never feeling like I got a chance to really relax when I was home on the weekend.

Guess I'll be laid up for a good 6-8 weeks.
i'm ready for my close up mr demille

(no subject)

During my lengthy period of being an invalid, I've decided there are two tasks I'm going to tackle. One of them is to completely re-burn my mp3 collection with a new naming convention and on all black media. On top of that, I'm going to then "double" burn it on cheap media. The cheap media is going to be the "usable" media, and the black media will be the "master" copies. When I wear out one of the useable media, I will burn a new copy from the master.

I'm doing this for several reasons, first foremost, to get a naming convention that is more conducive to use in mp3 players and secondly, to consolidate 7 years worth of collecting into a more elegant collection. I've saved lots of things over the years that I know I'll never listen to again. Finally, and most obviously, to create redundancy. I've lost stuff over the years because I've lost a disc, or a disc has become damaged. I figure it'll be simpler to have the redundancy than trying to find something again.

The other thing I want to do is to revamp the Beastie Boys site I run. See, the Beastie Boys have a new record coming out this June, so I was thinking it's something I should do, I just hadn't devoted any time to it yet. Well, time is all I've got for the next two months. I've been expecting a spike in traffic in anticipation of the new album... and boy has it happened. I usually average about 600-700 hits a week, with occasional forays into the quad digits. On sunday I had (drum roll) in excess of 5,000 hits... just on Sunday! And so far today, I've already had nearly 1,000. I did a little research through some logging tools at my disposalbe and discovered that someone posted my site link to Metafilter which was responsible for a lot of it.

I feel like a big time webmaster now or something. I feel I have a bit of an obligation to make the website look a little more presentable.