1. Your LiveJournal "user name": uhhhh, soopageek?
Explain what it means: A phonetic bastardization of "super geek". It stems from a stage persona I adopted for a gig during my brief stint in a punk band. I think I used it for the first time online in IRC and have been using it ever since. I think the only reason Ive clung to it is that it's unique and is never "taken" anytime I create a new account somewhere. It's so entrenched as being my online identity that there's no going back. The funny thing is that it's rather ironic, because I'm a bad mother fucker.
2. The "name" that you chose to use (if not your USER name): "It ain't pretty being..."
3. Explain how you picked / why you selected the user picture(s) that you have? My default icon is a self-portrait I took of myself while driving the truck one day in my first year of trucking. You can see the road reflected in the lenses of the sunglasses. I've always thought it was apt and has been my default icon ever since. As for the others, there's no rhyme or reason. If you want to hear the story behind a particular one, it's already been well-documented.
- The Stats -
4. Date of survey (because things will change as soon as you finish it): Whatever date I posted this
Account type: Permanent
Friends (#): 274
Friends of (#): 269
Communities (#): 44
Feeds (#): 11
Memories (#): 227
Tags (#): 56
Journal entries: 1,177
Comments posted: 11,475
- Your Journal -
5. Why do you have a Journal page? I initially created an account on LiveJournal at the urging of my bosom pal justamy, but I didn't faithfully begin journaling until nearly a year into my truck driving escapade. I highly suspect that if I ever quit travelling that I'll find I won't nearly as much use for LiveJournal.
6. Why did you pick LiveJournal (LJ) over another service or handwriting? There was never really a choice. This is the first place I came to and it suits me just fine.
7. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how well does your LiveJournal represent who you actually are? 7
8. How do you think your LJ represents you the most...
Factually: I omit but I don't fabricate.
Intellectually: I probably downplay my intellectual capacity to a degree.
Sexually: Some things aren't meant for LJ. Only deserving people get to know the MAGNIFICENT extent of my sexual prowess.
Religiously: It's a fair representation as I'm not particularly religious.
Artistically: Considering that the extent of my artistic ability is limited to marginally funny low-brow humor, bad Photoshopping, and an occasional lucky shutter cliick of the camera I guess my LJ is spot on.
9. How much about your life do you post to LJ? Not counting the brief experiment with daily logs, maybe 30-40%
Is there anything you refuse to post about? I typically don't post things of a highly personal nature, but it's not a hard fast rule.
10. On a scale of 1-10 how interesting do you think your own journal is to others? 7
11. From who/how did you find out about LJ? justamy
12. Has anyone ever joined LJ because of you? Mmmm, recently chasinghighways. mrslk. Maybe others, I'm not sure.
13. How long have you been a member of LJ? Wasn't that already asked? Ummm, 6 years.
14. How often do you post to LJ? It varies. Sometimes daily, sometimes 2-3 times a week.
15. What proportion of your posts are friends only? Got me, maybe 30-40%, if that high?
16. What is your favorite interest on LJ? "corrupting hawt presbyterians"
17. What is your favorite community on LJ? I'm not at liberty to discuss it.
18. Have you ever learned anything new on LJ? Sure.
19. Has anything on LJ ever caused you to establish, rethink, or even change your belief or position on something? Not that I can recall.
20. How often do you respond / comment on other peoples journals? I have a core of close friends whose journals I interact with regularly and from there it varies. I simply don't have the time to get around and leave comments to everyone as often as I would like.
21. Do you prefer to write in your Journal, read other Journals, respond to others entries, or get responses to your entries? I think for me, the first one and the last one are closely linked. I write here because I think I have something to offer in the way of content that is entertaining or interesting to people. I've never been the "journal" type who kept one for themselves. Without the response, I doubt I'd still be doing this.
22. What's the longest you've gone without posting to LJ since the day you signed up? I'm not going to count the first two years since my updating was sporadic, at best. Since I began actively using LiveJournal in 2003, probably the Great Soopageek Blackout of 2004: I posted only one entry in a 51 day period.
23. What's the longest you've gone without reading LJ since you discovered it? See #22.
24. What is your favorite post you've ever made to LJ? The Claiming of Soopageek Peak
25. What is your favorite post you've ever read on LJ? Probably this entry written by tinywarrior a couple of years ago. And I'm not alone, it still gets a couple of comments a month and has 69 pages of comments. I posted a link to it the day it popped onto my f-list. If you missed it the first go around, I highly recommend it. Also, pugofwar entries... all of them.
26. What's the weirdest or funniest thing you've seen on LJ? Most lossfound entries.
27. Have you ever specifically asked a question for people to reply to in your Journal? Sure.
28. Have you ever tried to play the "trace yourself back through friends from a random LJ user"? No.
29. Have you ever played the "add a sentence to my post" game? No.
30. Have you ever lied/fibbed in your journal? No.
31.Have you ever had something mean said to you or been stalked, harassed,or got into an argument/flame war on LJ (or did it to someone else)? I've had an occasional asshole pop in and say something nasty, but it's been sparse and hasn't happened in a long time. As for doing it elsewhere? We'll always have JIHAAAAAAAAD!
32. Have you ever banned someone from your Journal? Nope.
33. Has LiveJournal had any significant impact on your life? I'm living with that impact.
34. Who are your favorite LJ friend(s) and why? A couple of years ago, as my f-list swelled to a point as to become unmanageable for daily reading I was forced to begin filtered reading. I've never tried to hide this fact, but I don't publicly broadcast it either. The core I referred to earlier is the upper echelon on those filters and they know who they are. If I had to choose, not counting welfy, justamy, and fujerica (who I consider to be well beyond the scope of an lj/internet friend), I'd probably say lossfound and tpbrcombo. The reasons: we intersect with concern to music (even if we don't always agree), we enjoy good-natured comment sparring and ribbing, and they are the two most routinely funny people on my f-list. Hopefully I provide them a chuckle or two every now and then as well. Given the relatively exclusive nature of their f-lists (especially Paul's particularly Bolshevik attitude about it) I'm honored to be counted among them.
35. How many of your LJ friends are your friends in "real life"? welfy, justamy, fujerica, mybluenotepad aka hope_sets_sail, mrslk. It's a weird question to answer. Those are all IRL friends from before LJ... but I've made a lot of IRL friends because of LJ, goingincirclez and mix3d3m0ti0n5. I employed leinahtane 10 years ago when I was good friends with his brother but now I talk to him more because of LJ.
36. How many of your LJ friends have you actually met? Hooboy, in addition to the above: janietrain, draysha68, evelynnash, some_noah, yshaloo, pushmearound, mairondil, thawaltzingfool, hockeyfag, atthestarz, spleazeball, tyrolia, resistances, stormodacentury, dsptchrgal, mxpwr, chasinghighways, lacyunderall, videoleslie, democritus, psycat90, m0nkeygrl, c_rob, yourtourniquet, revsphynx, cryslea, erebrandir, kuimalynne, ruxxell, mandy_moon, ladydreamfire, bustednut, navygreen, sparklymegz, sdaisyk, smiles_sweetly, tundraguy1979, the_fishery... good lord I hope I didn't miss anyone.
37. Have you ever e-mailed or I.M.'d someone you found on LJ? Sure.
38. Of all of the people on LJ you know of, who is the most like you? I'm an original, baby.
39. Who is the most intelligent or insightful person you know on LJ? Who reads LJ for knowledge or insight?
40. Who is the most fun person you know on LJ? Probably mandy_moon.
41. Who is your least favorite/most annoying LJ user or community? Since he was basically just keeping a journal because his girl was all into it and abandoned it a long, long time ago and will never read this: 4aces.
42. How do you usually find new friends on LJ? Usually because they add me. It is a very rare occasion that I add someone first just because I know I don't have the time and it takes a very special journal to compete with the ones I currently have time for.
43. Why are you most likely to add someone to your friends list? Because they added me first.
44. Do you automatically add friends to your journal if they add you first? Yes. I don't consider my friends list as my reading list since I started using reading filters. I work on the assumption that if someone adds me they want to read me. I occasionally get dropped a few months later, which I always assume is because I wasn't the sort of reciprocal friend they were looking for.
What is the most likely reason you wouldn't add someone to your friends list? There's never been one.
45. Do you care if someone adds you to his or her friends list if you add him or her first? No. I have a handful of journals on my f-list where I'm not friended back.
Would you remove them from yours if they didn't? I'd only remove them if I no longer was interested in reading their journal.
46. Are there any people's Journals (users / friends), communities, interests, or searches you frequent on LiveJournal that you don't or will not list in your user info page? Nope.
- More than Friends on LJ -
47. Is your "Significant Other" on LJ? All the time.
If not, do they know you post on LJ? Certainly.
48. Other than your S.O., who are you the most attracted to on LJ? angiewarhol
49. Who is the sexiest person you know on LJ? angiewarhol
50. Have you ever fantasized about someone on LJ? angiewarhol... among others.
51. Would you want to know if someone fantasized about you on LJ? Definitely.
52. Would you date someone you met on LJ? Obviously.
53. Have you ever wanted to meet someone on LJ? All the time. The top of that list right now (that's realistic) would be lossfound.
54. Have you ever actually met someone from LJ romantically (or otherwise) and hit it off (or not)? Only once, and it's worked out marvelously.
55. Have you ever posted a naughty picture / post / story on LJ? Just in case you've forgotten.
- Technical LiveJournal -
56. Do you prefer to post from a Client or the Web Interface? I never post via the web, always with Semagic.
57. Do you use HTML to add extras to your entries? hat are you talking about?
58. Is your LJ page customized (at all - even from template), template, or default? I use a pretty plain jane S2 style.
59. Do you usually use the WinAmp music detector, add you music manually, or none at all? None at all.
60. How well do you know the LJ features and how to use it? Reasonably well.
61. What is your favorite LJ feature? Filters.
62. What is your least favorite LJ feature (one that you would change or delete if you could)? Tags stop working after skip=100. I don't know that I'd delete any.
63. What feature would you most like to see added to LJ? I'd like to see flitering made more robust in two ways. One would be friends-side filtering based on tags. If you knew I was going to post about a particular subject that you weren't interested in staying abreast of and I always tag it with "boring_shit", you could flag my name with that tag to keep it off your friend's list, however you could see it if you went to my journal and weren't otherwise restricted from it. I'd also like to see filtering on the author-side which didn't require the entry to be locked from anyone NOT on LJ who just happens to wander across the entry, that way you could still tailor your content to your friend's friends-list but still have it internet searchable.
64. What moods would you most like to see added to LJ? Real men don't use moods.
65. "One day the directory will work again." How long until you believe until that day will come? I have no idea what this means.
66. On a scale of 1-100, rate the LJ for convenience, usefulness, and coolness factor:
Coolness: 20 (at least it's not MySpace)
- Miscellaneous -
67. How many other surveys have you done on LJ? Got me.
68. How does this survey compare to those? Huh?
69. Do you think this last question was added solely to get to this number or not? I think the previous two were as well.